What is the Constitution of Ghana ?
A constitution is a set of fundamental principles or rules outlining how a State is governed and it spells out the fundamental rights and duties of citizens. The Constitution of Ghana is the supreme law (most powerful law) of the Republic of Ghana.
What is the Constitution Review Commission ?
The Constitution Review Commission consists of a group of experts with the objective of conducting a public discussion of the 1992 Constitution. They wanted to go over it to see if the constitution needed any changes.
What were its recommendations ?
- The death penalty should be removed from the Constitution.
- Decisions of the CHRAJ should be directly enforced and their powers should be increased.
What are some institutions in Ghana that deal with human right violations ?
- Ghana Police Service
- Domestic Violence and Victim Support Unit (DOVVSU)
- Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ)
What is DOVVSU ?
DOVVSU (formerly known as WAJU), is a department within the Ghana police service that deals with human right abuses towards women and children.
- You can report cases of domestic abuse or child abuse to them, which they will investigate.
- They work with other organizations that may be able to offer assistance and specialized help to victims.
- They can arrest and prosecute people where necessary.
What is the Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice (CHRAJ) ?
CHRAJ is an independent organization responsible for the protection of people’s human rights in Ghana. They can:
- Investigate complaints of human rights violations
- Educate the public on human rights
What are the problem areas in Ghana ?
- Trafficking in persons
- Forced child labor
- Harsh prison conditions
- Police and security forces
- The justice system
- The continued sentencing of capital punishment
- Housing rights – forced evictions
- Violence against Women and Children
- Rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people
- Discrimination against persons with disabilities
- Discrimination against persons with HIV/AIDS
- Vigilante violence (people’s justice)
- Government corruption
Useful Websites ?
Human Rights videos, petitions and facts - http://www.humanrights.com/#/homeWhat are human Rights? - http://www.youthforhumanrights.org/what-are-human-rights.htmlSimplified version of the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights -http://www.youthforhumanrights.org/what-are-human-rights/universal-declaration-of-human-rights/articles-1-15.htmlThe United Nations 2012, UN at a glance, accessed 8 October 2012 -http://www.un.org/en/aboutun/index.shtml
Useful Websites for Ghana ?
DOVVSU homepage – http://www.ghanapolice.info/dvvsu/dvvsu.htm#Functions of DOVVSU – http://www.ghanapolice.info/dvvsu/functions_dvvsu.htmCHRAJ Ghana – http://www.chrajghana.com/